Saturday, November 15, 2008

harvest soup

so i've been trying for two days to upload one short little video, but so far, no luck. instead i've decided to tell everyone about my wonderful soup success from this week! i am happy, of course, that it was really yummy and had rave reviews, but i think i'm even more excited about the fact that it was super thrifty!

i got everything in it through angel food ministries, basics i had on hand, food left from former roommates or friends when they've gone overseas, or from a sam's club $5 rotisserie chicken(which i keep bags of chicken and homemade stock in my freezer). It was super hearty and delicious.

Harvest Soup
1 bag frozen Edamame steamers (left by friends going overseas)
1/2 Small Bag of Soup Bean Mix (Angel Food)
2 small white onions (Angel Food)
1/2 of a red onion
Minced Garlic
3-4 cups of Shredded Chicken (Sam's Rotisserie)
5 cups of Chicken Broth (homemade from Sam's Rotisserie)
2 white potatoes
2 red potatoes
1 bag of frozen mixed veggies (corn, green beans, etc) (Angel Food)
1/2 bag whole wheat noodles (left by a former roommate)
Spices (Salt, Pepper, Basil, Bay leaves and Savory)
1/2 bag Spinach
I steamed and shelled the Edamame. I soaked the Bean Mix. The next day I sauteed the onions and garlic while boiling the cut up potatoes in water. I cooked the Bean mix. I defrosted the frozen chicken, broth, and veggies and then threw them all in with the cooked beans and added spices. I added the Edamame to cook and then the potatoes when they were almost done. I put in the noodles towards the last 10 minutes of cooking. The last thing I threw in was several large handfuls of spinach.

one of my friends commented that she felt like she had thanksgiving dinner in a soup when she had it for lunch yesterday. what a compliment! i just really was wanting to use the edamame in something! but i am pretty pleased with this yummy soup/stew. i think the recipe is a keeper. and binkley girls, look close in the background. do you recognize the napkin?? thanks to kelsey and travis's wedding, i've made the switch to using only cloth napkins! i love it!

1 comment:

Andysbethy said...

The soup looks, and sounds, delicious. Andy likes to eat edamame just plain, so I think there are some in my freezer right now. I might have to try this recipe.
I love that you use cloth napkins! We are cloth all the way, especially since we have all those extra's from the wedding!
On a side note, have your tried Photobucket for your video uploading needs? I don't know what you are uploading, or where from, but I think photobucket is the easiest to work with.
Good luck with the video, and thanks for the yummy recipe!